After having played several games with the wife, we felt it was time to get some much needed upgrades. After doing a little bit of research, we decided we wanted to take it kind of slow but also keep the two factions somewhat balanced. We ended up spending a little more than we anticipated but feel pretty good about what we’ve purchased. Here’s what we got.
1. Another starter set. Seriously, other people I’ve talked to about this have called me crazy for this but hear me out. With buying a second starter set (for $28!!), we get another set of movement templates, another range ruler, more dice, and 3 more ships… which is pretty much the cheapest way to increase the size of your fleet. This is my #1 upgrade, if anyone is looking for recommendations.
2. X-wing and Tie-Fighter upgrades. These each only come with 1 ship, but both upgrades have some very handy pilots. For the X-wing side, we get Wedge who is a must-have in your X-wing squadron. On the Tie-Fighter side, we get Howlrunner… another must-have in your tie squadron. Howlrunner’s ability lets any other friendly ship at range 1 re-roll an attack die. Very huge for anyone running a Tie swarm.
3. Millennium Falcon. Honestly I got this for two reasons. First, my wife likes the model and thinks it’s really cool. The second being it’s really, really hard to find for a decent price. I actually picked it up for $25 but I’ve seen it as high as $75. Once un-packed, the model is absolutely beautiful. The ship has 8 hull points and 5 shields… pretty tough to destroy. Luckily for the Imperials, it only gets 1 Agility so if you get a good roll you’ll be able to do some serious damage.
4. Slave 1. Since I got the Falcon, I had to get something for the Imperial side to be balanced. Like the Falcon, this is another large ship and has a larger than normal base. Slave 1 features and forward and reverse firing arc, so nobody is safe from this guy.
5. E-Wing. The E-wing is like a cross between the A-wing and the X-wing. Fast like an A-wing but tough like an X-wing. This ship features 3 hull, like the X-wing and 3 shield points. A very tough ship. One of the pilots, Corran, has the ability to perform an additional attack during the “End Phase” but this keeps him from attacking the next round. A pretty nice ability if an enemy pilot is nearly destroyed.
6. Tie Phantom. Since the E-wing is pretty tough, I wanted something with enough attack to take it down. Plus what’s cooler than being able to cloak? The cloaking and de-cloaking actions are a little difficult to get used to, but overall it’s not a bad little Tie-Fighter. With 4 attack, it can be brutal at range 1.
After playing with these upgrades for a while, I’m sure we’ll pick up a few more.